I hope everyone has been having a Happy New Year!
I've never really been a fan of January... except for beloved boyfriend's birthday, but I'm determined to make it fun and meaningful while we endure it!
So, to start off, I thought I'd share something fun I did recently.
I took a Fondant I class and made this lovely cake:
I had never done anything with fondant before and I was a little nervous that I wouldn't be able to do it, but it was really easy with the help of the ladies at Sweet Wise.
Pictured is the marbled fondant and the gumpaste
For smooth fondant, I learned that it's best to work an inch at at time from the top all the way around to avoid pleats.
And just like that, I have a yummy cake and a cute little certificate!
I'm glad I took the class because this cake stuff is expensive and far too expensive to just experiment without a little help!
Helpful cake tips I learned:
1. The value of a crumb coat! Did you know that whether you're using fondant OR buttercream you should do a crumb coat? Yes! That will keep the crumbs in the cake and not on the icing. Simply ice with a very thin layer of icing to literally catch the crumbs. Lay the fondant while it's wet, but let it dry a little before applying a second layer of buttercream.
2. You should warm your cake ingredients before you incorporate them to avoid that "dome" that happens on the top of a cake.
3. The colder your cake is, the easier it is to work with it!
4. Don't like the taste of fondant? I didn't think I did either until I made this cake. Turns out that bad fondant is made with low grade fondant and uses far too much corn starch which completely alters the taste. Try FondX. It's amazing.
So, in addition to that fun cake class, Donna, over at Write Now, Write Later, was kind enough to give me this award!
So in keeping with the rules, there are 4 duties to perform to accept this award:
1. Thank and link back to the person who awarded you this award
2. Share 7 things about yourself
3. Award 15 recently discovered great bloggers
4. Contact these bloggers and tell them about the award!
- I'm a Food Network junkie and I loooove to cook (and bake).
- I hate chocolate AND I'm a girl. Yeah, I know.
- I'm a procrastinator.
- I know every word to every Beatles song. Seriously. Quiz me.
- I love reading...
- Je parle Francais.
- I get really excited every SINGLE time I see a Dachshund.
I'm passing this along to these neat peeps, some of whom I'm still getting around to checking out since I've been sicky and with the holidays I haven't visited as much as I'd like, but I'll get there!
- Tea and Biscuits
- Streets and Stripes
- Alivia Thinks This
- More Than The Occasional Baker
- Chrissy in America
- The Runaway Romantic
- Green Pickles
- Scenic Glory
- The Floating Violin
- Just a Small Town Girl
- Freckles and Fudge
- Bright Wishes
- The Decorista
- Little Ms. Sunshine
- A Little Blue Notebook
FINALLY: I start my new job tomorrow! Say a prayer, wish me luck, send happy thoughts... I'm excited!